Postsecondary Career Counselor
Job Type: Certified, Part-Time
Description: C-TEC’s Career Counselor provides career advising and counseling services with potential students. Counselors review a person's education level, work history, personality, interests, and skills and suggests careers that match his or her background and abilities. A Career Counselor’s goal is to match people with jobs that will give them the greatest balance of financial payoff and job satisfaction. They help people to understand salary expectations for selected careers. Counselors must understand local, regional, and national employment needs as well as current/future demand for these occupational trends. In addition to helping people who are just entering the workforce, career counselors help people who have lost their jobs, are between jobs, not happy with their career choices, and career counselors help people develop plans to improve their current career.
• Administer aptitude and/or achievement tests to gather information to aid in choosing careers. Use aptitude and achievement assessments, to help clients evaluate their interests, skills, and abilities.
• Evaluate clients’ background, education, and training, to help them develop realistic goals.
• Guide clients through making decisions about their careers, such as choosing a new profession and the type of training/degree to pursue.
• Help clients learn job search skills, such as interviewing and networking.
• Assist clients in locating and applying for jobs, by teaching them strategies to find openings and how to write a résumé.
• Advise clients on how to resolve problems in the workplace, such as conflicts with bosses or coworkers.
• Must be willing to travel within a 10-mile radius on occasion to maintain local partnerships with OhioMeans Jobs-Licking County and local businesses as needed.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in counseling, Psychology, or related field preferred. Three to five years career counseling experience preferred. Some direct experience with business and industry preferred, not required.
Apply To: Resumes may be emailed to